Blacket, Edinburgh (Sprintelope)
Wed 25th Jul 2018
Info updated: 26th Jul
Type of event: Local, Sprint
Type of terrain: Urban
'SPRINTELOPES' are informal urban events in the Edinburgh and East Lothian area for members of local orienteeering clubs and visitors from other orienteering clubs. Come along, pay, register and run. Very, very informal.
TERRAIN: Typical Edinburgh suburban streets and parks.
EMBARGOED AREA FOR WORLD SPRINT CHAMPS: Parts of the course will fall within the embargoed area. Anyone who might be affected by the embargo (including coaches etc as well as competitors) should check before starting. It should be possible to cut short the chosen course to avoid the embargoed area.
SAFETY, OTHER USERS and TRAFFIC: Please take extra care when crossing roads as some of the roads in the area will be busy. Please be courteous to pedestrians, cyclists, dog walkers and any other members of the public you encounter when running.
CLOTHING: Please wear appropriate clothing and footwear for running in the city in summer. Weather could be anything!
FACILITIES: TBC nearer the event.
Nearest town: City of Edinburgh
- Grid Ref: NT268719
- Postcode: EH9 1RU
- Latitude: 55.935132
- Longitude: -3.172493
- Google Map (aerial) - Bing Map (OS)
Head for 1 Mayfield Terrace, EDINBURGH, EH9 1RU. The house is on the corner of Mayfield Terrace and Blacket Place. (Note that no 1 is not at the end of a street) There will be on-street parking in the vicinity. Please park considerately.
Registration & Start Times
Registration, Start and Finish will be close together.
REGISTRATION: from 6pm to 7pm.
START TIMES: from 6.30pm (or earlier if the controls are all in place) to 7.30pm.
COURSES CLOSE: 8.30pm.
NOTE FOR UNDER 16s - Please check suitability on the arrival for under 16s running alone. Under 16s are however welcome to run with an adult.
DATA PROTECTION UPDATES MAY 2018: Entry to this event is by completion of the ESOC entry form or similar on arrival at the event. By completing the entry form to enter this event you agree that we may publish your Personal Information as part of the results of the Event and may pass such information to the governing body or any affiliated organisation for the purpose of insurance or for publishing results either for the event alone or combined with or compared to other events. Results may include (but not be limited to) name, any club affiliation, race times and age group.
There will be 1 Short course of around 3k and 1 long course of around 5k. Neither Course is likely to be suitable for unaccompanied under 16s but please check on arrival. Under 16s are however very welcome to run with an adult. See above for information about embargoed area.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
COST: £2 for Seniors, £1 for Juniors (see above for information about under 16s).
Contacts / Officials
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Privacy: when entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.