Bonaly Urban ‘Sprintelope’
Informal local urban event in the Bonaly/Colinton area of Edinburgh
Wed 28th Jun 2017
Info updated: 28th Jun
Type of event: Local, Social
Type of terrain: Urban
Thanks to everyone that came along.
SPRINTELOPES are informal urban events in the Edinburgh and East Lothian area. for members of local orienteeering clubs and visitors from other orienteering clubs further afield. Come along, pay, register and run. Very, very informal.
OTHER USERS and TRAFFIC: Bonaly/Colinton is a busy residential area with plenty of cars, buses and pedrestrians, please be mindful of this while running.
Nearest town: City of Edinburgh
- Grid Ref: NT221688
- Postcode: EH13 0BL
- Latitude: 55.9060095
- Longitude: -3.2493664
- Google Map (aerial) - Bing Map (OS)
Head for East end of Redford Drive EH13 0BL - look out for O-Kite in front garden of a house close to the junction with Redford Road. There is plenty of free parking on Redford Drive and other nearby streets. Please be courteous to residents when parking.
Note that the grid reference given is very approximate but the postcode is accurate.
The no 16 Lothian Buses service stops very close by.
Registration & Start Times
REGISTRATION will be at the Brown's house (directions as above or full address on ESOC membership list) and there will be an O kite in the front garden. Register from around 6pm to 7pm for starts from 6.30pm to 7.30pm. Courses likely to close by 8.30pm.
START and FINISH will be a short walk away at the opposite end of Redford Drive but it is ESSENTIAL to go to register and get your map before going to the start. It is also essential, for safety purposes, to go back to download at Redford Drive after your run.
COURSES: There will be Short and Long Courses and a junior course.
Junior 2.2km (suitable for experienced juniors - mostly in a fenced in wood but does also involve crossing very quiet residential streets within a cul-de-sac).
Juniors can only go out on the Short or Long courses if they are accompanied by an adult.
For this purpose a Junior is a competitor who is under16.
Note: If you are new to urban orienteering and Sprintelopes the course lengths are straight line. Actual distances are usually substantially longer.
TIMING: There will be SI timing at the start and finish only. Remaining controls will be marked with chalk/tape/flour - please double-check on the evening of the event which it will be. Please bring along your SI if you have one. There will be some available to borrow if you don't have one.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Cost will be £2 per map. 50p for juniors.
Contacts / Officials
Advance enquiries (up to the day before the event) to
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Privacy: when entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.