South of Scotland Orienteering League (SoSOL)
Sun 17th Sep 2017
Info updated: 14th Aug
Type of event: District-(C)
Type of terrain: Moorland, Forest
More information will be added here soon.
Nearest town: Peebles
- Grid Ref: NT251397
- Postcode: EH45 9HB
- Latitude: 55.64522
- Longitude: -3.19296
- Google Map (aerial) - Bing Map (OS)
Parking and Assembly will be at Peebles High School, Springwood Road, Peebles EH45 9HB.
There will be a £1.00 parking fee per car.
Registration & Start Times
REGISTRATION: 10.30 - 12noon
START TIMES: 11.00 - 13.00
COURSE CLOSURE: 15.00
Note that there is likely to be a walk to the start of 1k and the finish is likely to be fairly close to the start. These details will be confirmed later.
Usual SoSOL courses - white, yellow, orange, light green, short green, green, blue and brown.
Course details TBC later in 2017.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Advance entry via Fabian4 closes on Sunday 10th September 2017. Entry on the day (EOD) will be subject to map availability and a surcharge of £2.00 Seniors/£1.00 Juniors added to the entry fees shown below.
Seniors (born 1996 or earlier) - BOF member £8.00
Seniors (born 1996 or earlier) - Non-BOF member £10.00
Seniors (born 1996 or earlier) - White, Yellow, Orange courses (only) £4.00
Juniors (born 1997 or later) - BOF member £4.00
Juniors (born 1997 or later) - Non-BOF member £5.00
Free SIcard hire, if required, but £30.00 charge if lost.
Contacts / Officials
Planner: Martin Caldwell (ESOC)
Organiser: Tyler Morrison (ESOC)
Controller: Ken Daly (INT)
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Privacy: when entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.