Dalkeith Country Park, SoSOL
ESOC's 50th Anniversary Weekend, South of Scotland Orienteering League
Sun 01st Feb 2015
Info updated: 18th Feb
Type of event: Regional
Type of terrain: Parkland, Woodland
Organisers' Comments - A fine bright sunny day though a bit cold made for perfect conditions at Dalkeith Country Park for this SoSOL, the last event in the ESOC 50th Year Celebration Weekend.
There was an excellent turnout of over 230 competitors. It really does make all the work organising events worthwhile when you see so many Orienteers turn up and enjoy themselves on the day. Thank you to all that participated in the event.
Conditions were generally firm underfoot and the courses benefited from extensive new mapping that had taken place over several months to bring the area up to date with recent changes.
I benefited from excellent support from a long line of individuals who manned car parks, registration, starts, a brilliant team to sort out computing etc.
So thanks to the full team of helpers who turned up and did the job they were are allocated and the other volunteers on the day.
Thanks Mark, the courses were well planned (that’s the competitors' comments). Well done Mark. Thanks also to John for all his time and hard work as Controller.
Organisers' job probably the easiest of the lot as the work is done by the time the event happens, just the tidying up at the end and this time we were all away by 4PM.
Special thanks to Iain Herbert and his staff for all their help and allowing us to use the grounds and computing room of Dalkeith Country Park.
Jim/Tyler Morrison, Organisers
Lost property: 3 items remain unclaimed:
1. Black glove 2. Buff 3. Compass. To claim any of these items contact:
Weather Forecast - please check and dress appropriately for the weather on the day. The forecast is reasonable, at present, for the weekend but in the unlikely event of the weather turning so bad that cancellation of the event is being considered we will keep you posted here on the website.
This is a South of Scotland Orienteering League (SoSOL) event with all the usual courses. The map is being significantly updated for this event so the accompanying picture of the map is no longer totally accurate.
Nearest town: Dalkeith
- Grid Ref: NT334676
- Postcode: EH22 2NJ
- Latitude: 55.90940
- Longitude: -3.04623
- Google Map (aerial) - Bing Map (OS)
Dalkeith Country Park is just off the Edinburgh City Bypass (A720) at Sheriffhall roundabout. Parking is in the Steele park. This is a good flat area ideal for parking.
£1 will be collected from each car.
Registration & Start Times
Registratrion:1030 to 1230
Start Times: 1100 to 1300
Course Closure Time: 1500
There will be White, Yellow, Orange, Light Green, Short Green, Green, Blue and Brown courses.
|Course||Length (k)||Climb (m)|
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Online advance entries have now closed.
Information about the Anniversary Ceilidh is here. If you haven't yet bought ceilidh tickets and would like to do so please email by 5pm Friday 30th January.
There will be limited entry on the day (EOD) depending on maps available. The cost will be £10 for seniors (£12 for non-members) and £5 for juniors (£6 for non-members).
Contacts / Officials
Organiser: Tyler Morrison (ESOC) -
Planner: Mark Kassyk (ESOC)
Controller: John Biggar (RR)
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Privacy: when entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.
Click the image for a larger version.