Thu 06th May 2021
Info updated: 07th May
Type of event: Local
Type of terrain: Urban
What has happened to the Spring? It was a very cold and wet evening for racing round Dreghorn. Thanks to 3rd Rifles for giving us permission to race in the area - a great little sprint area with lots of challenges. Huge thanks to Margaret and Les for running the start in very wet and cold conditions.
A great opportunity to run a sprint race on the intricate terrain of Dreghorn Barracks An opportunity definitely not to be missed!
This is a very low key, informal event; nevertheless it must comply with all pre-entry, social distancing, sanitising and other essential measures.
COVID 19: You should not attend the event if you are showing any symptoms of Covid 19 even though you have pre-entered. Social distancing will be necessary at all times, even out on your course, and the start will be managed appropriately to comply with all relevant Government and Scottish Orienteering Guidelines. More specific information and details of the Covid 19 precautions, guidelines and rules will be included in the final details.
TERRAIN: Mostly hard surfaces but with some grassy areas. Mostly flat but with some hills which could be on the course (depending on the course planning).
CLOTHING AND FOOTWEAR: No studs or spikes please. Dress according to the weather and your own comfort.
FINAL DETAILS AND INSTRUCTIONS will be sent to every entrant soon after entries close at 9pm on Wednesday 5th May.
Nearest town: City of Edinburgh
- Grid Ref: NT227686
- Postcode: EH13 9QW
- Latitude: 55.90175
- Longitude: -3.23938
- Google Map (aerial) - Bing Map (OS)
Head for Dreghorn Barracks on the edge of Edinburgh (Approx. Grid Ref: NT 227686) which are very close to Dreghorn junction of the Edinburgh City Bypass (A720) if you are travelling from out of town. The barracks are approx. 200m on your left after the roundabout at Dreghorn Link (where Dreghorn Link joins Redford Road. There will be no orienteering signs on the road but the entrance to the barracks is very obvious - next to the Covenanters Statue.
This is a working military base and there will be basic security checks at the gate. Also, all adults will be expected to have photo ID. Whilst on the base please stay on marked routes and follow any instructions from military personnel.
Parking is on the parade ground which is flat tarmac.
BUSES: The No 16 bus service stops very close to the entrance to Dreghorn Barracks. Check Lothian Buses for more information. and links to timetables.
Registration & Start Times
Start Times: 5:45 - 6:30pm
No Registration or Enquiries. All necessary informaton will be emailed directly to competitors who have pre-entered by 9pm on Wednesday 5th May.
One course only. It will be approximately 4.5k optimal distance.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
PRE-ENTRY ONLY. Pre-enter HERE. Entries will close at 9pm on Wednesday 5th May.
COST: £3 for Seniors, £2 for Students and £1 for Juniors.
Contacts / Officials
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Privacy: when entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.