ESOC Long-O, North Pentland Hills
Sun 27th May 2012
Info updated: 18th Feb
Type of event: Long
Type of terrain: Moorland
Thank you to everyone who came along to run at the Long O. The weather was fantastic and most people seemed to enjoy themselves. The views over Edinburgh were spectacular too - for those of us who were going so slowly we could appreciate the view.
Nearest town: Edinburgh
- Grid Ref: NT 277680
- Latitude: 55.89884
- Longitude: -3.233671
- Google Map (aerial) - Bing Map (OS)
DirectionsFROM THE NORTH - on the Edinburgh city bypass (A720) leave at the junction marked Dreghorn Junction. At the top of the slip road turn right and cross over the bypass turning right again and (note two way road) follow the road 50m then turn left. - From here follow signs to the parking area.
FROM THE SOUTH - on the Edinburgh city bypass (A720) leave at the Dreghorn junction. At the top of the slip road go straight across (note two way road) follow the road 50m then turn left. - From here follow signs to the parking area.
Parking is along the side of the road. Follow directions of marshal. Please have £1 ready for parking.
Registration & Start TimesRegistration: 10.00am to 11.30am
Starts: 10.30am to 12noon
Course closure will be 4pm
There will be 3 courses:
180 minute Score
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Seniors - £7
Juniors/Students - £3.50
Pairs (Seniors) - £14
Pairs (Senior & Junior/Student) - £10.50
Pairs (Juniors/Students) - £7
Free SI hire if required but charge of £30 per SI if lost.
Enquiries about entries (only) to Simon Firth at:
Enter online at Fabian 4 - closing date for entries extended to 22th May 2012.
There will be entry on the day if there are maps available.
Contacts / OfficialsOrganiser - Jim Morrison (ESOC)
Planner - Nigel Fawthrop (ESOC)
Controller - Mike Stewart (ESOC)
Entries (only) - as above Simon Firth by email to:
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Privacy: when entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.