ESOC Long-O, Pentland Hills
Sun 18th Aug 2013
Info updated: 18th Feb
Type of event: Long
Type of terrain: Moorland
Apologies for the delay, there was an unofficial version of the software floating around..
Final Details now available..
The terrain is mostly open runnable grassy hillside and rough ground with some intricate contour detail. There are some tracks and sheep paths which offer fast running, some small areas of woodland, marshy areas and many streams.
More information about the event will be posted here when available.
Nearest town: Penicuik
- Grid Ref: NT202602
- Postcode: EH26 9LH
- Latitude: 55.82898
- Longitude: -3.273496
- Google Map (aerial) - Bing Map (OS)
The event will be based in the village of Silverburn, south of Edinburgh on the A702.
Registration & Start Times
Registration: 10.00am to 11.30am
Starts: 10.30am to 12noon (If you expect to take a long time please ask for an early start)
Course closure will be 4pm
10km, 20km and 180 minute Score.
MAP: We are using an extract of Harvey's 1:25000 map 'Pentland Hills' printed on waterproof paper.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
|Seniors (born 1992 or earlier)||£8|
|Juniors (born 1993 or later)||£4|
|Pairs (Senior & Junior/Student||£12|
Free SI hire, if required, but £30.00 charge if lost.
Pre-entries available at http://www.fabian4.co.uk/default.aspx?EventID=843 from 20th July 2013. Pre-entries close Sunday 11th August 2013.
Competitors under 18 accepted at the discretion of the Controller.
Limited EOD if maps available at surcharge of £2.00/£1.00
SI timing will be used. SI cards can be hired free of charge but there will be a charge of £30 if a borrowed SI is lost.
Contacts / Officials
Organiser: Fiona Findlay (ESOC) - phone: 0131 538 2597, email:
Planner: Jim Martin (ESOC)
Controller: Roger Scrutton (ESOC)
Entry enquiries: Simon Firth (ESOC),
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Privacy: when entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.