ESOC Sprintelope, Portobello
Informal Evening Event in the Sprintelope Series
Wed 17th Aug 2022
Info updated: 02nd Aug
Type of event: Local
Type of terrain: Urban
LOCATION in Portobello (East side of Edinburgh): Promenade side of Tumbles Gymnastics and Soft Play Centre. See Directions below.
Terrain: City streets.
Course Maps: Map scale likely to be1:4000 but this will be confirmed later. The course maps will NOT be on waterproof paper. Please bring a poly pocket or plastic map bag to use if it is raining or if your hands are likely to be sweaty enough to rub off the print.
Timing: SI timing will be used BUT because the events are informal, there are only SI units for the start and finish – the rest of the controls are usually tapes (maybe tied to lamp posts or other street furniture), flour on the ground or perhaps white tubes. There are not usually any control kites and there is rarely any electronic punching at the actual controls however sometimes planners sneak in a couple of punches. If this happens you will be alerted in advance to look out for punches. It is just possible that these punches would have a kite. Again, check on the evening of the event.
It’s taken on trust that you visit all the controls.
Facilities: No toilets specifically for the event. NOTE that toilets in 'Tumbles' are for their customers only. There are public toilets on the Promenade 200m away which close at 2000.
Dogs: Dogs are allowed at the event so long as they are kept under very close control at all times.
COVID: Please don’t come to the event if you have Covid or symptoms of Covid.
Please also try to:
1. Respect other people's personal space at all times;
2. Make use of the hand sanitiser wherever it is made available;
3. Give way to other participants and members of the public especially on narrow paths and slow down on blind corners.
Please read and respect the British Orienteering Participant Code of Conduct.
First Aid: The Organiser will have a very basic first aid kit available, please ask for what you need.
If you possibly can we encourage you to bring your own first aid kit and administer as necessary. For further specific advice please call 111 or for a life threatening emergency dial 999. The Organiser will be happy to advise and support you as required, including use of a mobile phone if you do not have one with you.
The main hospital for A&E services in Edinburgh is:
Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh
51 Little France Crescent
Old Dalkeith Road
Telephone: 0131 536 1000
Nearest town: Edinburgh
- Grid Ref: NT303743
- Postcode: EH15 1DR
- Latitude: 55.957131
- Longitude: -3.116979
- Google Map (aerial) - Bing Map (OS)
Please try to walk, use public transport or bike if you possibly can.
By car: The event will be based on the Promenade side of 'Tumbles' Gymnastics and Softplay Centre, Westbank Street, Portobello, EH15 1DR. There should be plenty free parking in the car park at the end of Westbank Street or in the one in Bridge Street. On street parking in Westbank Street is also free.
Registration & Start Times
Registration will be on the Promenade near a partially covered area outside Tumbles Gymnastics & Softplay Centre. In the event of rain Registration will actually be partially under the cover but please don't hang around here to shelter as there is a chance you'll be blocking an emergency exit.
Starts will be from 18:30-19:30. Please choose a 30 minute time slot when you are entering to give us an idea when you might arrive however on the evening you may find that you can start when you are ready.
Long course of around 5km;
Short course of around 3.5km
The above are straight line distances so expect to run a good bit further than that. Sometimes the short course is simply a shorter version of the long course using the same map. Please check this on the evening when you arrive.
The courses are mainly on city streets which means that ALL under 16s MUST be accompanied by an adult throughout their course.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Pre-Entry very strongly advised to guarantee a map: Please pre-enter using this google document Pre-entries will close at 6pm on Tuesday 16th August. After that you are welcome to EMAIL to check if there is still a map available for your chosen course. Entry on the evening of the event may still be possible, subject to spare maps being available, but to be guaranteed a map please pre-enter by the time and date given.
Fees: Senior £3, Student £2, Junior (under 21) £1, Shadowers map £1 - to be paid in cash on the night. Please bring the correct money (or correct money for your group/family) ready to hand over in exchange for your course map.
Remember that because of the road crossings ALL under 16s must be accompanied at all times by an adult when running. An adult shadower may request as additional map (£1) or may register separately if they want a map and a separate result. It is ok to run together and both get results. These events are very informal.
Contacts / Officials
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Privacy: when entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.