ESOC Ultrasprint 2015, Bush Estate
Controls in a Maze combined with park orienteering.
Sun 20th Sep 2015
Info updated: 18th Feb
Type of event: Local, Other
Type of terrain: Parkland
FINAL DETAILS now available
The Ultrasprint: The Ultrasprint provides a challenge to navigate around the controls in the Maze and those in the surrounding parkland, quickly and cleanly. The fastest runner may not be the most accurate. It is entertaining for the spectators and makes a very welcoming, sociable, fun event which everyone can enjoy.
Dogs: On leads at all times, no dogs on the courses.
Nearest town: Penicuik
- Grid Ref: NT245635
- Postcode: EH26 0BB
- Latitude: 55.85930
- Longitude: -3.20649
- Google Map (aerial) - Bing Map (OS)
The parking will be on hard standing within Bush Estate and Registration and Start will be close by.
Registration & Start Times
Advance entry now closed. There will be very limited entry on the day (EOD) depending on map availability.
Registration for EOD: 13:00 - 14:15
Starts: 13:30 - 14:30
There will be four separate courses. Courses 1,2 and 3 are each approx. 1.3km in length and all visit the Maze. Winner's time is the combined time for Courses 1,2 and 3. Course 4 is entirely within the Maze and is suitable for children.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Advance entry open now via: Fabian4. Advance entries now closed.
Seniors (born 1994 or earlier) - BOF member £6.00
Seniors (born 1994 or earlier) - Non-BOF member £8.00
Juniors (born 1995 or later) £3.00
Free SIcard hire, if required, but £30.00 charge if lost.
Entry on the day (EOD) will be subject to map availability.
Contacts / Officials
Organiser: Janet Clark (ESOC) Tel: 0131 225 7771), Email:
Planner: Ray Ward (ESOC)
Controller: Norma Coutts (ESOC)
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Privacy: when entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.
Click the image for a larger version.