ESOC local event in Edinburgh and the Lothians
Sat 14th Nov 2020
Info updated: 09th Jan
Type of event: Local
Type of terrain: Parkland
Dress: Please check the weather forecast on the day and dress appropriately. This event is in the city but is exposed directly to the Firth of Forth and can be coolish and windy even on sunny Winter days.
Terrain: The area is the grounds of Lauriston Castle which is best described as 'parkland'. We have been known to offer a course for experienced orienteers which extends into the surrounding city streets. Check nearer the event if we can do so on this occasion.
Other Users: There will be other people using the castle grounds and some parts of the grounds may out of bounds to orienteers (even though others may be using these areas). Specifically,croquet could be in progress on their pitches and we have to be careful not to disturb the players by running too close to the pitches (which are marked OOB on the map). Please respect their right to be there at the same time as you are orienteering.
Dogs: Dogs are allowed but should be kept under close control at all times.
Course Closure Time: Please note that courses have a closure time of 4.00pm after which controls will start to be brought in.
MEDICAL CONDITIONS: You have the option of downloading and completing this Medical Form. It could be life saving if the organisers are aware of any existing medical conditions in the event of an incident. You can leave it at registration/enquires in a sealed envelope that will only be opened if required and destroyed after the event.
Nearest town: City of Edinburgh
- Grid Ref: NT203758
- Postcode: EH4 5QD
- Latitude: 55.96886
- Longitude: -3.27878
- Google Map (aerial) - Bing Map (OS)
Head for Cramond Road South. Parking for the Lauriston Castle event will mainly be in the surrounding streets; Lauriston Farm Road or Barnton Park, both off Cramond Road South just south of the main entrance to Lauriston Castle. When parking please be considerate of local residents. Postcode for the event is EH4 5QD
It is possible to come to this event by bus, service 41 is probably the closest. Check Lothian Buses website for more information.
Registration & Start Times
TBC but Registration, Start and Finish will all be close to each other and near the entrance to the castle grounds.
This is an afternoon event with Registration and Starts from 1.30pm to 3pm sharp (it's early dark at this time of year).
As usual for ESOC local events there will be White,Yellow and Orange courses for beginners and improvers . There will also be a Longer course, possibly extending beyond the castle grounds, for experienced orienteers. Please check nearer the event for more information about the longer course for experienced orienteers.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
TBC but this event will be entry on the day only.
Contacts / Officials
Early enquiries can be made by email to:
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Privacy: when entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.