Sprintelope, Edinburgh (Bruntsfield & Fountainbridge)
ESOC local Wednesday evening event
Wed 07th Aug 2019
Info updated: 08th Aug
Type of event: Local
Type of terrain: Urban
What a night! Undeterred by torrential rain, thunderstorms and gridlocked traffic, Martin swam around to put out the controls and most of the usual Sprintelope addicts turned up, complete with their own polybags. EUOC enlivened the race with their own "Mass Start" and the run-in to the Finish was a spectacular water-jump. Well done all!
'SPRINTELOPES' are low key urban events in the Edinburgh and the Lothians for members of local orienteeering clubs and visitors from other orienteering clubs. Come along, pay, register and run. Very, very informal.
TERRAIN: Typical Edinburgh suburban streets and parks.
MAP: Course maps are usually printed on normal printer paper (not waterproof) and usually A4 size. Try to bring a plastic bag or poly pocket if raining.
SAFETY, OTHER USERS and TRAFFIC: Please take extra care when crossing roads as some roads could be busy. Please be courteous to pedestrians, cyclists, dog walkers and any other members of the public you encounter when running.
CLOTHING: Please wear appropriate clothing and footwear for running in a city/town in summer. Weather could be anything!
FACILITIES: Low key event with no facilities.
CONTROLS: Informal - tubes or coloured tapes.
TIMING: SportIdent (SI) electronic timing. Bring your SI which will be used for start and finish only. If you haven’t got your own SI there will be some to hire at the event (free but £30 charge if lost).
Nearest town: City of Edinburgh
- Grid Ref:
- Postcode: EH3 9LW
- Latitude: 55.94087
- Longitude: -3.20028
- Google Map (aerial) - Bing Map (OS)
Head for the children's playpark just south of the croquet and bowling club building across Melville Drive at the north west end of the Meadows. The meeting point is actually on Bruntsfield Links. The Park on surrounding streets. Parking in Bruntsfield streets south of the meeting point is probably easiest.
Registration & Start Times
Registration, Start and Finish will be close together.
REGISTRATION: from 6pm to 7pm. Bring your SI. SI timing will be used for start and finish only.
START TIMES: from 6.30pm (or earlier if the controls are all in place) to 7.30pm.
COURSES CLOSE: 8.30pm.
NOTE FOR UNDER 16s - Under 16s are welcome to run with an adult.
A Short course of around 3k and a Long course of around 5k. Neither Course is suitable for unaccompanied under 16s. Under 16s are however very welcome to run with an adult.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
COST: £3 for Seniors, £1 for Juniors (see above for information about under 16s). Turn up, register, pay and run.
Contacts / Officials
Planner: Martin Quirke (ESOC)
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Privacy: when entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.