ESOC local evening event
Wed 19th Jun 2019
Info updated: 09th May
Type of event: Local
Type of terrain: Urban
LOCATION MAP: The postcode given is for the civic centre in Almondvale Park. This is for convenience only as the exact location is not yet known. A specific location will be posted on this web item nearer the event.
'SPRINTELOPES' are low key urban events in the Edinburgh and the Lothians for members of local orienteeering clubs and visitors from other orienteering clubs. Come along, pay, register and run. Very, very informal.
TERRAIN: Typical Livingston suburban streets and parks.
MAP: Check the scale on arrival. Maps are usually printed on normal printer paper (not waterproof) and usually, but not always, A4 size. Bring a poly pocket or similar if raining.
SAFETY, OTHER USERS and TRAFFIC: Please take extra care when crossing roads as some roads could be busy. Please be courteous to pedestrians, cyclists, dog walkers and any other members of the public you encounter when running.
CLOTHING: Please wear appropriate clothing and footwear for running in a city/town in summer. Weather could be anything!
FACILITIES: TBC nearer the event but these are small informal events and there are often no facilities.
Nearest town: Livingston
TBC information about the location and possible parking will be posted here by late May/early June
Registration & Start Times
Registration, Start and Finish will be close together.
REGISTRATION: from 6pm to 7pm.
START TIMES: from 6.30pm (or earlier if the controls are all in place) to 7.30pm.
COURSES CLOSE: 8.30pm.
NOTE FOR UNDER 16s - Courses are unlikely to be suitable for under 16s running alone. Under 16s are however welcome to run with an adult.
There will be 1 Short course of around 3k and 1 long course of around 5k. Neither Course is likely to be suitable for unaccompanied under 16s but please check on arrival. Under 16s are however very welcome to run with an adult.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
COST: £3 for Seniors, £1 for Juniors (see above for information about under 16s). Turn up, register, pay and run.
Contacts / Officials
Planner: Ewart Scott (ESOC)
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Privacy: when entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.