Spylaw, Edinburgh (Sprintelope)
Wed 27th Jun 2018
Info updated: 29th Jun
Type of event: Local, Sprint
Type of terrain: Urban
'SPRINTELOPES' are informal urban events in the Edinburgh and East Lothian area for members of local orienteeering clubs and visitors from other orienteering clubs. Come along, pay, register and run. Very, very informal.
TERRAIN: Typical Edinburgh suburban streets and parks.
SAFETY, OTHER USERS and TRAFFIC: Please take extra care when crossing roads as some of the roads in the area will be busy. Please be courteous to pedestrians, cyclists, dog walkers and any other members of the public you encounter when running.
CLOTHING: Please wear appropriate clothing and footwear for running in the city in summer. Weather could be anything!
FACILITIES: TBC nearer the event.
Nearest town: City of Edinburgh
- Grid Ref: NT215690
- Postcode: EH13 0JS
- Latitude: 55.907732
- Longitude: -3.257167
- Google Map (aerial) - Bing Map (OS)
Head for Spylaw Park in Colinton Village and park in surrounding streets.
Postcode and map details given are for the Scout Hall, Spylaw Street and is useful for satnav reference only. The Scout Hall is on the South East side of the road bridge over the park/dell. This bridge is clearly shown attached thumbnail map.
Parking in surrounding streets should be fine. Spylaw Street is quite narrow and can be busy with residents cars, Bridge Road or Woodhall Road are better. Entrance to Spylaw Park is off Spylaw Street, through the gate pillars marked "Spylaw House" and follow the track down and over the Water of Leith.
There is also a small car park at the Old Station to the North of the park (if going north - sharp right turn after crossing the Bridge). This is currently closed for roadworks, but the workmen assured me today it would be open again by Friday.........
Registration & Start Times
Registration, Start and Finish will be in Spylaw Park. Registration will be outside the Colinton Village Events (CVE) building at the North East end of Spylaw Park. See arrow on thumbnail map attached to this item.
REGISTRATION: from 6pm to 7pm.
START TIMES: from 6.30pm (or earlier if the controls are all in place) to 7.30pm.
COURSES CLOSE: 8.30pm.
There will be 1 Short course of 3k (line distance) and 1 long course of 5k (line distance). There will also be a yellow course wholly within the park and suitable for unaccompanied juniors. The long and short courses are not suitable for unaccompanied under 16s due to road crossings however juniors are welcome to run these with an adult.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
COST: £2 for Seniors, £1 for Juniors (see above for information about under 16s).
Contacts / Officials
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Privacy: when entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.
Click the image for a larger version.